Pet Search is an all-volunteer nonprofit animal rescue and placement service, dedicating itself to the rescue, care, and placement of homeless and unwanted domestic animals in southwestern PA. Founded by animal lovers in 1987 as People for Animal Welfare and renamed Pet Search in 1996, Pet Search has a history of compassion. In 38 years of rescue serving western PA, Pet Search has rescued and placed over 25,000 animals using only foster homes. We do not turn any animals in need away.
Pet Search is a non-euthanizing (no-kill) organization, keeping animals “home sheltered until permanent homes can be located." Our philosophy is that we are placing animals to be family pets; therefore, they are kept in “foster homes” – family environments as opposed to kennel facilities.
Our 10 year old van has over 135,000 miles and for us to be able to continue to help animals in need and people in our community with animals, we are seeking to purchase a new high-top van for Pet Search.
Our 2013 GMC Savanna Cargo van was purchased through a grant from the Petco Foundation and is driven almost daily to:
- Several different veterinary offices with animals for spays/neuters
- Answering calls regarding stray dogs and cats in our community
- Weekly adoption events at local pet stores
- Transports from other rescues
- Humane animal calls done by our volunteer Humane Police Officer
- Picking up feral cats/community cats for TNR (trap/neuter/return)
- Dropping off donated pet food to community circle food pantry in Washington to distribute to needy pet parents
- Recycling aluminum cans for our TNR program
Learn more about the Pet Search
Visit their website at petsearchpa.org